(Views expressed in this article are the personal opinion of the author.)
As young pass outs just from the fashion school, one of the most important things a fashion designer should do is his/ her portfolio development. A portfolio displays the work done by the designer. Having a great portfolio is very important for jump starting a career and getting jobs. In todays competitive world one has to make a mark for himself/herself. Fashion designers are mushrooming all over and a good Portfolio is one tool to get noticed. A portfolio is an important visual self-promotion and sales tool for any designer, fashion student or creative individual.
Nearly all fashion students will be familiar with the term fashion portfolio. The designer can customize the portfolio as per her/ his needs, portfolios are found in varied sizes and formats. What is important is they should be portable and easy to handle, all the works of the designer should be highlighted.
Some important steps to remember while developing a fashion portfolio:
- COVER PAGE: Designing of the cover page of a portfolio is one of the most crucial jobs while working on portfolio development. The cover page can be simple or rather should reflect ones personality. It can be arty and finally should be able to capture the curiosity of customers to look deeper into the portfolio file.
- MOOD BOARDS: Creating mood boards on the themes worked by the student designer can add weightage to ones portfolio. Mood boards should be able to tell your design story. Designers can use variety of images to accomplish this. Research photos, historic as well as current can be used to show the designers creative process.
- FABRIC SWATCHES: One of the main tools of a fashion designer apart from illustrations is fabric. The designer should emphasize on the range of fabrics he/ she has worked with and the design possibilities with them. Creating beautiful fabric collages and the color palettes is an important aspect of a good portfolio.
- SKETCHES: Illustrations are the world and the main arena of a fashion designer, creative designers should emphasize on this art on their portfolio, the sketches can be flat or design figures. Both types have their own advantages. It is here a designer can showcase his talent of Hi- fashion illustrations.
5. RESUME: An up to date bio date is a quick path to gain attention. A portfolio is an ultimate sale and effective interviewing tool Fashion designers must balance creativity with business savvy when writing a resume. Highlight on your achievements, seminars attended. Experience and training underwent is an added advantage while drafting a resume. References of a faculty and a known personality from the fashion line are always better.
6. PORTABILITY: The Designers should keep in mind that the portfolio should always be light and portable. A portfolio is all the works of the designer which should be culminated in such a way that it can be carried around with ease, not causing any inconvenience to the designer as well the customers, or the employer.